The mission of Operation Hire Maryland is to create an ongoing program which supports employers as they develop or expand upon their veteran hiring and retention initiatives. Through the collaboration and efforts of Operation Hire Maryland participants, a veteran friendly business network will be established to share best practices and proven methods for veteran recruitment, hiring, on boarding, and retention in the civilian work place.
ELIGIBILITY: Businesses as well as federal, state and county/local governments who possess a Federal Tax ID Number are eligible to participate. Employers are not required to be based in Maryland; however for purposes of pledging hires, Maryland residents who have served in the military must be those hired.
1. Download and complete the Operation Hire Maryland Participant Application.
2. Return the completed application to Operation Hire Maryland, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Once your application is reviewed, you will receive a confirmation letter by email along with the Operation Hire Maryland logo (jpg format), with permission to use the logo to highlight participation in the program.
- Please consider, when prompted, reporting veteran hires and feedback to Operation Hire Maryland, by email to email@example.com
- Within your first year as an employer participant, please attend at least one Operation Hire Maryland training or networking event
WHO CAN BE COUNTED AS A HIRE?
- An individual who served in the active duty component of the U.S. Armed Forces and who received a discharge of other than dishonorable
- An individual who has served, or who is currently serving, in the national guard or reserve component of the U.S. Armed Forces, and who received a discharge of other than dishonorable
The goal of the networking events will be to allow Operation Hire Maryland participants, and employers interested in participating, to hear from leading veteran recruiters on best practices as well as to network. Additionally, employers who are leading the program in veteran hires in that specific region will be recognized.
Save the Date! 2016 Networking Meetings
The employer meeting scheduled for April 2016 has been postponed to May 2016. Check back for more information!
CareFirst of MD, Inc.
Archived networking meeting slide decks:
October 27, 2015
January 28, 2016
Owings Mills, Maryland
March 2, 2016
- To learn more about how to recruit, onboard, and support veterans in the workplace, visit the MDVA Employer Tool Kit.
- To share job announcements:
- American Job Center: contact the closest American Job Center and ask to speak with a Local Veterans Employment Representative who can provide assistance with veteran recruitment support.
- Maryland Workforce Exchange: visit the exchange to share job announcements.
- Maryland National Guard Civilian Employment Assistance: contact the Transition Assistance Advisor to share job announcements with our National Guard service members. Ed Graham, Transition Assistance Advisor can be reached at 410-576-2994.
- MDVA Jobs for Maryland Veterans Email: contact the MDVA at firstname.lastname@example.org to share job announcements. This email is sent on a bi-weekly basis.
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs eBenefits website: visit this site to enroll and share job announcements.
- Employ veterans exiting homelessness by working with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ Maryland based Community Employment Coordinators. Email job announcements to Wendy.Brown-Hasaj@va.gov (serving Baltimore) and Brenda Harris1@va.gov (serving Perry Point).
To view the list of participating employers, visit Operation Hire Maryland Employers. (updated December 14, 2015)
Print the Operation Hire Maryland flier here.For more information on Operation Hire Maryland contact: Dana Hendrickson Director, Outreach and Advocacy Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs 410-260-3842 email@example.com