The following is a list of resources designed to support employers as they incorporate veteran hiring into existing recruitment practices. Employers, both public and private, are encouraged to visit these resources to help with recruitment, hiring, retention, and ongoing support, of veterans.
- Syracuse University: Institute for Veterans and Military Families
- Veteran Employment: Leading Practices
- The Institute for Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University and General Electric have partnered to develop a leading practices toolkit for employers with information on recruiting, supporting and retaining veteran employees
- Hiring our Heroes (HOH) DASHBOARD: A program of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation
- The HOH Dashboard provides employers with timely, relevant alerts, personalized content, notifications and features in addition to seamless access to custom-built, world-class tools. Get a personalized military hiring strategy, access their resume database, connect with veterans and military spouses through virtual hiring fairs, and post jobs to their job board
- U.S. VA Veterans Employment Toolkit
- The U.S. VA goal for this toolkit is to help employers, managers and supervisors, human resource professionals, and employee assistance program (EAP) providers relate to and support their employees who are Veterans and members of the Reserve and National Guard. In this toolkit, you can learn about Veterans and the military, such as what Veterans bring to the workplace and what the military structure and culture is like.
- U.S. VA Homeless Veterans Program: Employment Toolkit
- The U.S. VA is working closely with numerous partners to house Veterans in need of assistance, and recognizes that employment is the key to long term stability. This toolkit provides resources for employers who are interested in providing opportunities to veterans who are exiting homelessness.
- America’s Heroes At Work
- The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
- This act protects service members’ reemployment rights when returning from a period of service in the uniformed services, including those called up from the reserves or National Guard, and prohibits employer discrimination based on military service or obligation.
Community Based Organizations
A number of community based organizations work every day with our Maryland veterans. They are providing housing supports, employment assistance, and training. The following agencies have joined Operation Hire as community based partners. Employers who are recruiting veterans in to their civilian work place should consider reaching out to these organizations.
- Veteran Staffing Network (Parent Company: Easter Seals)
- At its core, the Veteran Staffing Network (VSN) is a staffing agency. VSN provides temp-to-perm, contract, and direct-hire placements. They put our veterans on a meaningful career path by bringing together diverse constituencies and strengths in an innovative way to support both the business seeking to hire top-notch employees and veterans transitioning to civilian life. Veteran Staffing Network (learn more here).
- Contact David Muir, Senior Vice President, 301-920-9730, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Maryland Center for Veterans Education and Training (MCVET)
- MCVET provides emergency and transitional housing services to veterans to enable them to rejoin their communities as productive citizens. Veterans who are residents of MCVET participate in an Education, Training, and Employment (ETE) program. The ETE program goal is to involve residents in higher education or skilled training programs that will enable them to secure first-rate employment and higher paying salaries. The employment service component of ETE is structured in partnership with the Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulations (DLLR). This comprehensive program includes intensive job development, job search, labor market information, assisted placement, job workshops, resume preparation, and interview skills training.
- Contact Ronald Hill, Program Coordinator, 410-576-9626, ext.231, email@example.com.
- Alliance, Inc. (Veterans Housing Assistance Program-SSVF)
- Alliance’s Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) program is designed to help Veteran families address housing and other stressors while providing for secure permanent housing. SSVF provides a short, intensive period of case management to link families to benefits and provide temporary financial assistance with housing or moving expenses. Case managers also assist veterans with finding employment.
- Contact Antonio Perez, Supervisor, Veteran Housing Outreach and Assistance, 410-282-5900, ext. 3096, firstname.lastname@example.org.