The following is a list of resources designed to support employers as they incorporate veteran hiring into existing recruitment practices. Employers, both public and private, are encouraged to visit these resources to help with recruitment, hiring, retention, and ongoing support, of veterans.
- Syracuse University: Institute for Veterans and Military Families: Employer resources such as the Business Case for Hiring a Veteran, Supporting the Employment of Veterans and Military Families, and a Veteran Employment Leading Practices Toolkit
- Hiring our Heroes (HOH) Employer Roadmap: A program of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation, the Hiring our Heroes Employer Roadmap is your guide to hiring veterans and military spouses
- U.S. VA Veterans Employment Toolkit: This USVA Employment Toolkit helps employers learn about Veterans and the military, such as what Veterans bring to the workplace and what the military structure and culture is like
- U.S. VA Homeless Veterans Program: Employment Toolkit: This toolkit provides resources for employers who are interested in providing opportunities to veterans who are exiting homelessness
- America’s Heroes At Work: This toolkit, provided by the U.S. Department of Labor is designed to assist employers who want to include veterans in their recruitment and hiring initiatives
- The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
- This act protects service members’ reemployment rights when returning from a period of service in the uniformed services, including those called up from the reserves or National Guard, and prohibits employer discrimination based on military service or obligation.
Community Based Organizations
A number of community based organizations work every day with our Maryland veterans. They are providing housing supports, employment assistance, and training. Employers who are recruiting veterans in to their civilian work place should consider reaching out to these organizations.
- Veteran Staffing Network (Parent Company: Easter Seals)
- At its core, the Veteran Staffing Network (VSN) is a staffing agency. VSN provides temp-to-perm, contract, and direct-hire placements. They put our veterans on a meaningful career path by bringing together diverse constituencies and strengths in an innovative way to support both the business seeking to hire top-notch employees and veterans transitioning to civilian life.
- Maryland Center for Veterans Education and Training (MCVET)
- MCVET provides emergency and transitional housing services to veterans to enable them to rejoin their communities as productive citizens. Veterans who are residents of MCVET participate in an Education, Training, and Employment (ETE) program. The ETE program goal is to involve residents in higher education or skilled training programs that will enable them to secure first-rate employment and higher paying salaries. The employment service component of ETE is structured in partnership with the Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulations (DLLR). This comprehensive program includes intensive job development, job search, labor market information, assisted placement, job workshops, resume preparation, and interview skills training